"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Sunday, November 30, 2008

A sad Thanksgiving

I had a peaceful and quiet Thanksgiving holiday by myself. I watched the parades and ate pumpkin pie, turkey, stove top stuffing, and cinnamon rolls.

I was also sad because my favorite Aunt in Green Bay passed away early in the morning on Thanksgiving day. Aunt Arleen was 89 and had cancer. It awes me to think of all the history she lived through... the Depression, World War II, the birth of rock-n-roll, Kennedy's death, Nixon's resignation, Cable TV, the internet, 9/11.

She was one of 9 children and herself had seven kids, many who had children and grandchildren themselves. That's rare these days. She was widowed twice. She knitted (or maybe it was crochet). I have a wash cloth from her. She made Christmas candy too. I loved her chocolate peanuts and fudge. Her home was always open to family. I remember many family gatherings at her house. We were all blessed to have her in our lives.

I like to think that she is up in heaven sitting around my grandmother's kitchen table with my mother and their sisters and brothers who have passed and my grandparents and many other relatives. Cuz heaven just has to have my grandma's kitchen.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.