"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Powerful beyond measure

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. "

The above are the first two sentences of a frequently used quote of Marianne Williamson. I've come across it many times. Yesterday, I came across it again. This time, I asked myself... have I ever been powerful beyond measure?

Someone, apparently a part of me... said yes.

I was like... REALLY????

Apparently, I wasn't aware of it.

January, 1990... I was on a college trip to tour Italy and Greece. Our last day in Rome was a free day, no tours, no museums, no schedule. So I hopped on a train and rode a couple hours to the East. Then I took a bus ride for about 20 or 30 minutes. And stepped off into a small village in the mountains. The village my great-grandfather was born.

November, 1990... I came out as a gay man. (Do I need to explain more?)

June, 1996 or 1997... Pridefest in Milwaukee... and I celebrated by being an artist and with oil pastels I made an 8 feet by 8 feet mural of what pride symbolized to me. (my hands were sore for days... but well worth it)

August, 2001... I attended a men's weekend called the New Warrior Training Adventure, and despite exhaustion and illness from heat, humidity, and a sleepless first night... I had an experience of incredible authenticity and connection with other men, most of whom were straight.
June 2002... I moved to Indianapolis and moved in with my partner... whom at the time I only knew for less than a year. We've been together for almost 9 years.

Those are just five examples of when I was powerful beyond measure. I just didn't know that I was.

Each time...

I stepped out of my comfort zone and took risks.

I dared to do something I had never done before.

I forgot to care about what anyone else might judge about me.

I made choices... not based on any facts... but on what felt right for me. One might consider that... a type of integrity.

These moments are ones I will always remember. And I suspect that is a big clue to find other moments where I was powerful beyond measure... look for the moments that I will always remember.

Powerful beyond measure... yeah... beyond measure. It is a sense of empowerment that cannot be objectively analyzed with numbers and statistical formulas.

Powerful beyond measure is about authenticity... and my authenticity comes from trusting, loving, accepting, and blessing myself. I can't put numbers on that. And there's other things involved with me being authentic... like intuition, integrity, inner wisdom, boundaries.

So, this morning... I wonder... I now know I've been powerful without measure often in my life. And I wasn't even aware. It has been when I made choices out of my authenticity. So... I wonder...

NO... I'm imagining (and one might say if I can imagine it, then it is real)... how awesome life will be now that I'm aware that I can be "powerful beyond measure".

Freaking sensational.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo Jeffrey, for the intuitive insights for anyone's well-lived life.

Edmond said...

Eh...I'm not surprised. I always knew you were powerful beyond measure. Glad you see it now, too.





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.