Bea Arthur passed away yesterday. An icon. She was my favorite on Golden Girls. She entertained millions bringing laughter and joy to their lives.
----
THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT GETTING OLDER.
I don't mind the gray hairs, the need for bed before 10 pm, the glasses, the increasing age, the approaching 5th decade... I don't mind getting older... me getting older that is.
What I hate is that people I like, care about, love... they are getting older too. And they are dying. Both my parents are gone. Most of my aunts and uncles are gone. Except for two uncles, their wives, and the wife of a deceased uncle. And recently I lost a cousin... the second time that happened. As the youngest of 26 grandchildren, I know I'll lose many more.
I hate that part of getting older... when death and dying becomes more commonplace. Death's not really becoming more common, it's just that people I know are the dying ones. That's the uncommon part for me.
My first social work professor in college taught me... with every relationship there is a beginning and an ending. He was talking about social worker's relationships with clients. But I saw wisdom in this lesson. Because every relationship does have beginnings and endings.
"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.
Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.
No comments:
Post a Comment