"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Irresistable...

I can't resist earthquake movies. Flipping through the channels, if I come across a movie about an earthquake... I'm hooked. I don't know why I have this attraction to these disasters... maybe in a former life I was in an earthquake.

Even the bad ones... like the made-for-TV movie mini-series "10.5" and it's even worse sequel.. "10.5: Apocalypse" . The latter was on TV yesterday afternoon. Luckily, I was doing some re-organizing in the kitchen and could watch it from where I was. Seriously, this is a horrible movie. Acting is okay, but the plot lines were atrocious. At on point Vegas sinks into the desert sands. And of course... the scientist who knows what's going on is gambling in Vegas... as is the wife of a rescue volunteer (and she's pregnant). Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen. Wait, it gets better... the president's daughter is a red cross volunteer and is sent to Vegas with a doctor whose parents are stuck in Houston when a huge earthquake rips the city apart. And let's not forget the potential nuclear disaster because a fault line is opening up right next to a nuclear power plant in Texas (which also has gas drilling happening next door).

And I watched it all for like the fourth time.

I just can't resist earthquake movies when I come across them. Maybe someday I'll figure out why I'm so drawn to them.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.