This morning I helped a friend set up his yard sale. I had no hesitation in helping him. Though I wish my voice was better so I could have talked more. Pretty sure he understood that I wasn't talking because of my tendency to break into coughing fits... and not because I was bored. I was glad to help him.
The experience got me thinking again about what kinds of friends I want in my life. Previously on Jeffrey's Tidbits... I made a wish about having more friends. So looking at what kinds of friends I want isn't a new thing I just spontaneously thought of doing.
This time, I'm going to look at this from a different angle. I recalled reading something like this... "be the friend you seek". So, this morning... was a I the friend I seek? I think... yes. I helped out a friend and didn't ask for anything in return. Now, the neat part... I was going to buy a couple things and my friend gave them to me in return for helping him. So... that was cool. It really showed me that my help was valued.
This is the kind of friend I am... one who steps up to help, if I can. In my friendships, I've done this over and over. Like one friend... who moved to town a few years ago without a vehicle of his own. I stepped up and was available to him for rides to buy clothes for his job, to look for an apartment, to go to the doctor when he broke his leg, and so many more. He kept saying someday he'd return the favor and pay me back for all the help I gave him. I didn't ask for anything in return, so I thought that was nice of him to say. And I believed someday he would.
So, in many ways, I am the friend I seek... to others. Can I be that friend to myself? That's the question of the hour.
"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
Friday, July 11, 2008
Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.
Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.
No comments:
Post a Comment