"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Friday, March 14, 2008

A portrait of me...

I am guessing that if anyone reads my blog, they might want to know a little bit about me.

So, here's a story about me.

Recently, I was at the supermarket in the dairy section. An elderly couple were there, both in the electric carts that have seats for people who have difficulty walking. The woman wanted a gallon of whole milk and a gallon of 1 percent. I had the door open to the slim milk, and the 1 percent was right there. So, I reached over and got a gallon and gave it to the woman, so she wouldn't have to get out of her seat on the cart. The man had already stood up and gotten the other gallon. But both were extremely grateful.

And then, I forgot the entire incident. It was such a natural thing to do, that it didn't really strike me as important. But when I got home and was putting the slim milk in the refrigerator... I realized I had forgotten about that totally random act of kindness.

And I realized... helping people is a very natural thing for me to do. It's part of what makes me... who I am.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.