"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bones...

I love the TV series - Bones. I'm not usually a fan of crime dramas. Occasionally if there is nothing else on, I might watch a CSI or Law & Order. But I don't go out of my way to watch them. Not so... with Bones. I tape that regularly... when it's on. My partner likes the show too, so it's one of a handful of TV shows we enjoy together.

It's more the characters that I love than the subject matter - murders and identifying corpses. And actually, how those characters unravel the story of the murder victim. To me, Bones is more a drama about story tellers, than a drama about solving crimes.

My favorite is the female lead... Temperance Brennan. She has a real unique way of seeing the world through reliance on interpreting facts, rather than emotions and judgments. Not to say she doesn't express emotions and judgments... she does... usually by some reference to the facts of a situation. It's just a really unique way of seeing things.

All the characters are unique in the way they see the world. Angela, the sketch artist who reconstructs faces, is very artistic and intuitive. Booth, the FBI agent and male lead character, is psychological, emotive, but not whiny. Zack, the former intern turned professional, is naive about relating to others, but highly intelligent. Hodgins is ultra liberal and anti-authority. Cam, the boss, is intrigued by the mish mash of personalities who she works with.

I like that they are each unique... and that helps to solve the crime and tell the story. Each character is skilled to look at a different set of facts and find the right conclusion that fits the story of the victim. Like one of them is able to determine from soil and bugs where the victim was killed, which is often not the same place the body was found.

It's just a huge illustration of how each person's viewpoint and skill set are important.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.