"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Thursday, April 3, 2008

Multiple violations

Those are not calming words to hear from a building inspector checking out the 3 room addition to the house you live in.

My partner and I are adding on to the house. The contractor was highly recommended. Well, today, my trust in him plummeted when the inspector told me that there were multiple violations. My trust fell more when my partner (who is also the check writer) told me that the contractor expected there was a chance of not passing inspection.

This man is being paid (by my partner) to do the right thing... which to me is building a safe house that does not violate codes. So, my question is... why the hell didn't he just do it the first time so we wouldn't fail inspection?

This is our home that he's been trusted with. OUR HOME. The code is there for people's safety... not to make headaches for contractors. SAFETY. My hope would be he'd care about the job as if he were building for his own family's safety. I'm not convinced he cares about safety... if there are multiple violations.

Renovations are stressful enough. Pile on unnecessary stress like code violations ... GEEZ. Knowing there was a chance to fail inspection and doing nothing about it is not customer-friendly.

That man is so lucky I'm not the one signing his checks. Cuz he wouldn't get one more from me until he brought it up to code and paid any fines out of his own pocket. Otherwise, I guarantee the word of mouth advertising won't be good from me.

I can't wait for this to be over and the construction is completed and life can be normal again. And hopefully, this contractor will not be working on our kitchen.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.