"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Stops along the way - Growing up

11. The Turning Page - One of the first comic book stores I ever went to. This is in Milwaukee. My Dad took me when I was around 12 or 13. About 20 years later, it became a weekly stop while I lived in Milwaukee. Circa 1978-1980.

12. Great America - The first and only amusement park I ever went to. It was in Illinois not far from the Wisconsin border (Now it's a Six Flags or something). I think the last time was for 8th grade class trip. 1970s.

13. McDonald's - My first job was at a McDonald's in Green Bay's failure of a downtown mall. August to December, 1982.

14. East High School in Green Bay - I was on the editorial staff of the school newspaper. Class of 84. September 1980 to June 1984.

15. Powerhouse Comics - Green Bay's first comic book store and a weekly stop for me from 10th grade until i moved to Milwaukee in my late twenties. 1983 through 1994.

16. University of Wisconsin-Green Bay - A regular part of my life while my sister, later mother, attended UWGB while I was in grade school. It was where I had my second job. I took art classes for kids. And in Fall of 84, I attended. September 1984 to May 1991.

17. The Library in downtown Green Bay - A place of learning, validation, escape, fun, and self-discovery. 1970s-1980s-1990s.

18. My bedroom - well... I did spend a lot of time in my bedroom - several hours asleep each night and many hours during the day too. It was my fortress of solitude. 1970s & 1980s & 1990s.

19. Lucy Stone Center - My sister and then my mother worked at this campus women's center at UWGB. I got much validation from the women who became friends of my mother & sister. Late 1970s.

20. Who's in Green Bay - I was 19 and Who's was the first gay bar I ever went to. November 1986.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.