"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Saturday, April 5, 2008

Inner geeky comic book fan

Comic book news websites and comic book blogs are buzzing about the mini-series commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

The Legion of Three Worlds!!!!! Debuting in August, I think. I grinned like a geek when I saw the sneak peak in the back of this month's Action Comics #863.

I'm super-excited. These are the comic book characters that I am driven to collect every story they ever appeared. And I've pretty much done just that too. Maybe less than 20 stories that I can't find yet out of a 50 year publishing history.

The Legion pre-dates Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica... It's quite convaluted and complex... full of alien super-heroes and villains, time travel, evil gods, sun-eating cloud monsters in space... And fun. Fun. Fun.

In fact, the title of this blog was sort of inspired by the Legion. Back in the 1960s, the Legion were the stars of Adventure Comics. And part of the letter page was something called "Bits of Legion Business" which contained suggested super-heroes by readers. So, Bits was the inspiration to use Tidbits in this blog's title.

I'm seriously considering starting a blog just about the Legion. Sort of like a who's who and what's what reference blog rather than a daily journal type of blog. What do I have to lose?

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.