"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Thursday, May 1, 2008

It's a game, not more, not less

I am not a sports fan. So, it's doubtful you'll see me write much about any sports on this blog. But I saw this story on the news and I thought it was amazing.

A girl baseball player hits a home run. As she runs the bases, she hurts her knee and can't run. The umpire says she has to touch all the bases for the home run to count. So, she is carried from base to base... by the OTHER TEAM.

The news report called it "true sportsmanship". So I looked up "sportsmanship"
Main Entry: sports·man·ship
conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport

Yup. I agree.

Here's a link to the New York Times article about it.

I wonder if those "seven figure salary" athletes would exhibit such values. The TV report on this story doubted it. Given all the steroid scandals of professional sports in the last year or two... I'm inclined to agree.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.