"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fascinating

10 things that fascinate me... in no particular order...

1. Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving Day and Rose parade on New Year's Day. Aw heck.. Parades are fascinating. The floats, the balloons and the creativity. And the look on children's faces as the TV cameras pan the crowds.

2. Burning Man... I've never been, but the website's collection of photos have me fascinated with the event.

3. The Legion of Super-Heroes... my all time favorite comic book characters. I have virtually every story they were in... in original or reprinted formats.

4. Christmas decorations. I love decorating the house for Christmas. I love looking at the ornaments on sale - anywhere. I love watching the specials on HGTV on way out wacky holiday decorating.

5. The AIDS Memorial Quilt. This is an incredible memorial to people who died of AIDS. Each panel tells the story of a life. I've seen parts of it 3 times. Once in Wisconsin, once in Washington DC and once in Indianapolis.

6. Shamans. They were the story tellers, the artists, the spiritual guiders of tribes and communities. And still are in some places. They saw the world as everything having life and purpose. Everything.

7. Doctor Who. What can I say? He travels through space. He travels through time. He saves the planet. He lives in his space ship time machine that happens to be a blue police box.

8. Beads. Yup. Beads. They come in all shapes and sizes and they are used for ritual and decoration and... they're small. They fascinate me. I can't explain it.

9. Project Runway. The TV show on Bravo Channel. It is full of creative challenges and artistry. And drama. One day you're in and the next... you're out. And Tim Gunn... "Make it work."

10. The Zoo. Animals from all over the world. From polar bears to jungle parrots to rhinos to dolphins to turtles... nature's majesty in all its diverse and complex wonder.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.