"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Saturday, May 10, 2008

Resuscitation

I'm still struggling with the stuff in my previous post "Ventilation". So, in an effort to breathe some new air after last night's meeting mess... I got out of the box.

I went downtown and walked around. I brought the digital camera to practice photographing in a public place. I got some nice shots and will show them off in a couple days. I needed to do something out of my comfort zone... and that was. Just a bit. But it helped - a bit.

I know more about that event and how to do it than the majority of the men who were at the meeting. And most of them were completely dismissive of anything I was saying. I'm at a complete and utter loss to understand such disrespect as I experience with this group of men.

But more so... I am flabbergasted by my own need to have their respect. How spracked up is that.

In a couple hours I'll be sitting with my partner and two friends... who do listen. I'm not worried about monopolizing the conversation with my pissing and moaning. Me? Talk? rarely.

Which is another reason I find last night's lack of listening to me so astonishing. It's no secret I am on the quiet side. I don't talk much, so why not shut up and experience the rare event of Jeffrey speaking. Cuz frankly, when I'm interrupted as much as last night... the Jeffrey speaking grows more rare.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.