"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Monday, May 26, 2008

Zebra Talk (or More What People Say)

A few days ago, I wrote this post about What People Say.

In it, I explained that what people say always has some kind of an impact. I compared it to a lion's growl resulting in the impact of a zebra running away. The zebra isn't going to ignore the lion's growl. The zebra won't go "oh my, a lion growling nearby I must not run away or it will be bad for my self-esteem that I let the lion make me afraid." If it did that, the lion might be like... "mmmm this zebra is tastier than most" completely unaware that the stupidity of the zebra is the secret seasoning that adds to the flavor.

Here's more examples... of how what people say has an impact.

A parent whispers soothing words to a crying child to calm the child down. A song moves someone to tears. Or a story moves someone to tears. A comedian's joke evokes laughter. A travel book motivates a reader to take that trip to Stonehenge. A news report about another hate crime brings up fear and anger. A politician's ill-phrased comments takes him or her out of the election. High school rumors can ruin the reputation of a student. The first words of a loved one after a serious accident can bring joy.

What people say... has impact. Always. I get it now. Not seeing that is foolish.

Perhaps that's why I also desire to have people who listen to me in my life... because I know there is an impact of what people say.

What people say has an impact. Always. I wish other people got it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this post alot. Very Inspirational. Thanks for sharing your ideas, your words, your creativity with the world, Jeffrey. YOU make a difference.
xoxox Tim Hunter

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your inspiration, your creativity, your message, your words. YOU make a difference in the world. Thank you for your vulnerability and sharing.
Looking forward to reading much more. xoxox Tim Hunter





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.