"It is as if stories bond people together and allow each individual to better comprehend what their place is in the world, and how their place holds everything else together."

- Malidoma Patrice Some



"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset


Friday, June 27, 2008

Great Pacific Garbage Patch

On his blog for June 25, Zac Sunderland mentioned he was nearing the coordinates of this phenomenon called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch where tons of plastic somehow accumulated due to the water currents.

I'd never heard of it before. So I do what i usually do and I went to Wikipedia and looked it up.

Click here for the wikipedia article about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

It's disturbing that garbage collects like this over such a vast area. Millions of pieces of plastic per square mile. And the area might be as small as Texas or as large as double the size of the continental USA.

What has the human race been doing to it's home? Being a pack rat is looking better to me.

==============

So I wrote the words above on Thursday night. I pre-set the date and time to publish it on Friday, June 27 at 6:30. When I finished... I decided to go to MySpace to play a game. And on MySpace, there was a blurb about a video about "garbage island"... which is another term used to describe the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Check out the videos produced by VBS for a documentary. Their MySpace page shows 3 videos of a 12 part series. It's fascinating and troubling at the same time.

.

No comments:





Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.

Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.