31. Pridefest - I attended my first Pridefest in Milwaukee in 1995. For several years, I was a volunteer at this festival for LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) community. 1995-2002.
32. This Is It - One of the oldest gay bars in Milwaukee, This Is It was a weekly stop for me and other volunteers of the Thursday Night Project Group at the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin. 1995-2000.
33. AIDS Quilt - While not exactly a place I went, seeing the AIDS Quilt was an incredible experience. I've seen sections of this huge memorial in Milwaukee, Washington, D.C., and Indianapolis.
34. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - From 1997 to 2001, I attended UW-Milwaukee and earned a Bachelors of Social Work and a Master's of Social Work.
35. Queer Theories Conference - I attended this conference in Reno, Nevada where I did a presentation on Heterosexism in Social Work Education. October, 1998.
36. Golda Meir Library - From 1999 to 2001, I worked as a student supervisor at the campus library of UW-Milwaukee. I highly recommend working at campus libraries as the job stress for student employees is zero. Many times, I found myself eager to get out of class so I could go to work and relax.
37. Counseling Center of Milwaukee - As part of my graduate studies, I interned as a counselor at the center for a year. 1999-2000.
38. Millenium March - In 2000, hundreds of thousands of people marched on Washington DC for LGBT rights. I was there. I marched. Words just don't do it justice. (And... my sister found out it was on c-span and taped it for me... 6 hours of the Millenium March's speakers. Amazing).
39. New Warrior Training Adventure - I had always wanted to try out one of the weekend retreats for men that were part of the mythopoetic men's movement. In August, 2001... I did. An amazing experience that validated me in ways I can't describe. And through my contacts in that organization... I eventually met my partner, David.
40. Indianapolis, IN - In July of 2002, I moved to Indianapolis to begin a life with my partner, David.
"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.
Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.
No comments:
Post a Comment