21. Artstreet - In the 1980s, Green Bay started a art festival in its downtown streets. It was every August, as was my late mother's birthday. So, it became a tradition for me... to buy Ma something for her birthday at Artstreet. 1980s & 1990s.
22. Port Plaza Mall - I worked at 3 different jobs in that mall. McDonald's was my first job while in high school (see here). In 1986 through 88... I worked at the Crockery Pub & Grill. Then in 1992-1993, I worked at B. Dalton Bookseller. I also got my first charge card at the Penney's in that mall.
23. Information Center - After returning to college (University of Wisconsin-Green Bay), I worked at the campus information center. It was a great place to work, as I had plenty of time to study while on the job. It wasn't so great when I had to handle two different incidents of bomb threats. But I stayed calm and got much praise from my supervisors and the security staff for my calmness.
24. Shed's Aquarium - I visited this awesome sight in Chicago with my brother, my nephew, and my father. Circa 1990.
25. Crisis Center - After I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, I put my B.A. degree in psychology to good use as a volunteer at a crisis hotline in Green Bay. 1992-1993.
26. Bristol Renaissance Faire - After driving to the Wisconsin-Illinois border, I traveled back in time to a renaissance festival complete with jousting knights, queens and their courts, and a man yelling "Garlic Mushrooms! Get Your Garlic Mushrooms!". Fun.
27. State Street - I fell in love with State Street my first trip to Madison, WI in 1994. Lots of fascinating shops and restaurants and people. State Street connects the University of Wisconsin campus to the State Capitol building. 1994 (and later visits in 95, 97, 98, and 2001.)
28. AIDS Resource Center - I moved to Milwaukee, WI in 1994 and became a volunteer at the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin. I volunteered in the food pantry, outreach program, and eventually became a volunteer trainer. I also did one of my social work internships in their case management program. 1994-1998.
29. City Hall - My early jobs in Milwaukee were through a temporary employment agency at City Hall in the Legislative Reference Bureau, the Health Department, City Development, and eventually, I became employed by the Board of Zoning Appeals. I learned much about how city bureaucracy operates. 1995-1997.
30. Pleasant Street - My first apartment in Milwaukee was a small studio on Pleasant Street. Later I upgraded to a one-bedroom in the building next door. I loved the neighborhood which was full of many different ethnic and economic groups, and fascinating stores and coffee shops. 1995-2001.
"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.
Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.
No comments:
Post a Comment