Yesterday was the first day that California's gays and lesbians could apply for marriage license now that California has legalized same-sex marriage. The new marriage licenses replaced "husband" and "wife" with "Partner A" and "Partner B". If I were a comedian, I'm sure there would be a joke about that.
Among the couples getting their licenses was George Takei, who played Sulu on Star Trek, and his partner of 21 years, Brad Altman. They have 90 days to wed. Read more here at George's website.
I'm calmly excited... I know that makes no sense... calmly excited. But that's what I am. This is fantastic advancement in the fight for equality. Another step forward.
Yet... it's marriage. My parents divorced. My brother divorced. There is a fifty percent divorce rate... least that's what I heard. I guess the institution of marriage has little meaning to me because for me... divorce was the norm.
Ten years ago, I think I would have been more excited. I was much more involved in LGBT rights. Nowadays... I'm burned out on activism.
This is a great thing. And I applaud those who fought for it and those continuing to fight for it. Take care of yourselves along the way.
"Tell me what you pay attention to and I will tell you who you are."
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
- Jose Ortega y Gasset
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Go you must
No guest
Shall stay long
In one place forever
Love will be lost
If you sit too long
At a friend’s fire.
Viking scripture quoted at the end of the broadcast of the 1994 Winter Olympics.
No comments:
Post a Comment